PLEASE NOTE: This blog contains adult subjects and content, and because of Google/Blogger's recent nonsense, I HAVE MOVED TO WORDPRESS. For my enlightened friends who wish to visit me in my new home, it's https://ericalscott.wordpress.com. Please bookmark it!

The rest of you? Please take your judge-y selves somewhere more wholesome, like here: www.wonderbread.com

Go on.... shoo!



Friday, February 7, 2014

Friday potpourri

It's been a while since I've posted one of my lists of random thoughts. But I find myself in kind of a sad and scattered mood today. Perhaps it's left over from yesterday's revolting blog discovery. Maybe I'm a bit weepy myself after seeing Jay Leno's tearful farewell last night. I'm much like Sheldon Cooper that way -- change makes me uncomfortable and unhappy. Or maybe because today is 50 years to the day when the Beatles arrived in the States; that has me feeling wistfully nostalgic (not to mention incredibly old). So, I am sharing what's floating through the windmills of my mind, in no particular order.

1. I will miss Jay a lot. Of course, I still miss Johnny.

2. In Jay's farewell show, several greats showed up to see him off, including Billy Crystal, Oprah Winfrey, Carol Burnett, Sheryl Crow, and Kim Kardashian. Wait... what? Which one of these does not belong??

3. I know the word "behoove" means "to be to one's advantage," but it still makes me think of horses.

4. It's a good thing we didn't have the current mania of amalgamating couples' names (Brangelina, Kimye) back in the golden age of movies; we would have had Myrniam, Dickabeth and Hepcy.

4a. There are always exceptions, however. Desilu was pretty cool.

5. Why do we have cardinal rules? Why not oriole rules, or ruby-throated hummingbird rules?

6. Last night, John said to me, "I don't believe in God, but I believe in angels, because I have you." Prior to that, he had been teasing me relentlessly. Way to disarm a woman, smart guy. ♥

7. People complain about how a lot of rock and roll has gibberish for lyrics. Newsflash: nonsense lyrics in songs go back way before the rock era. For example, our parents' (or grandparents') generation had such lyrical gems as "mairzy doats and dozey doats" and Frank Sinatra's "Dooby dooby doo."

7a. That being said, Miley Cyrus's "La da dee da DEEE, we love to parTEEE" is particularly insipid.

7b. I don't remember when "party" became a verb, but I wish it hadn't.

8. I know I'll probably be fired on for this, but I have no interest in the Olympics. I'll watch them at John's because he has them on all the time, but at my house the next couple of weeks, it's going to be lots of repeats on other channels, or DVDs.

9. I appreciate any work I get, I really do. But I just finished reading a medical course about pressure ulcers... complete with pictures. I really think I should get nausea pay.

10. By the way, did you know it's incorrect to say, "I'm nauseous"? The true definition of "nauseous" is "causing nausea." Therefore, one should say "I'm nauseated." However, it's said incorrectly so often, it's probably now accepted as correct. (sigh)

11. And in that vein, if I live to be a 100-year-old proofreader, I will never accept people saying "more importantly" when they mean "more important." That one is like chewing on tin foil for me.

12. I bumped my shin 2 1/2 weeks ago, and still have the remnants of a bruise there. And yet, I get my backside pummeled every week and nary a sign remains. So not right.

13. Last night's episode of Big Bang Theory made me smile. Every time I think I can't love that show more, they raise the bar.

14. I really don't have any more thoughts, but I had to add this one because my OCD wouldn't allow me to end on the number 13.

Have a great weekend, y'all.

26 comments:

  1. "I bumped my shin 2 1/2 weeks ago, and still have the remnants of a bruise there. And yet, I get my backside pummeled every week and nary a sign remains. So not right."
    A single arm grab during a session THREE WEEKS ago left a bruise on my arm that still isn't entirely gone. It wasn't even a hard grab! Why can't I have evidence that I've been spanked even twenty minutes later?!
    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex -- yes, this! I miss the times when a simple hand spanking would leave me with hand-prints for days. We are just too "seasoned." (I hate that @#$%ing expression, BTW.) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erica,
    I love your use of the English language..when used correctly it is a beautiful thing. But we must be getting old (joke) when we find ourselves correcting our (my) grandson who is just beginning to learn to speak. "Whatever"...a hateful expression, yu'know..no, I don't know that why I asked; I could rant for hours.

    But it reminds me of my own grandfather who constantly corrected my spoken English...his favorite was "...put up with..." which he corrected to "...up with which I will not put". All changes for the better I suppose.

    I liked your random thoughts as they have sparked a wave of nostalgia for me as well. Especially the music ones.

    Pain and its evidence must be a totally subjective thing. My wife is constantly bumping into the furniture and gets massive bruising and complains about the pain for days but a serious session with the belt or paddle hardly leaves a mark after 20 minutes and she always insists that I spank harder. Some day I will get it right; I may just have to keep practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erica,

    "pressure ulcers... complete with pictures" reminds me of when our dog had a leg injury and the prolonged wearing of a splint and bandage caused pressure sores. We changed the bandage at home in between the weekly vet visits. Each time I unwrapped the leg, I would place a little ruler beside each sore, then snap a picture. I then emailed the pictures to the vet, so she could monitor his progress without an (expensive) office visit. The pictures were pretty awful when viewed on a large monitor as I chose the best ones from each photo shoot, but really only an inch long.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erica -- I don't like change either :-( I wish that the good things, could stay the same and the bad things could go away, When I have bruises on my arms or legs, they seem to be there forever. I like how you correct how certain word's should be used :-) I never was that good at English, I like learning new things :-) So thank you. I Love you my dear friend. Big hugs always from naughty girl Jade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica, I like Number #6, what John said to you about being an Angel. As for Number #5, Because some of us a BIRD BRAINS, and CUCKOO. Of course you and I are the exceptions. Yes, the Beatles 50th Year since they came to the good old U.S.A. Like wine they will always taste good with age. As for the Winter Olympics, I beg to differ with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do Cardinal rules fit between Papal rules and Archbishop rules?

    I suspect the birds were named for the colour of the clerical rank...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don -- thanks. I try to use proper English. It's always in a state of flux, with new words and variations all the time, but some basics remain the same.

    Hermione -- poor doggie, and poor you! Yeah, these photos were grotesque. I had to read copy around them, so it wasn't like I could avert my eyes.

    Jade -- I'm glad you like it when I correct the usage of words. A lot of people don't like it at all! :-D

    Six -- it's OK, you can differ on that point. Most people do. I don't know why I have such a lack of interest in it.

    Al -- LOL... I have no idea. Jews don't know from that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erica, the Olympic Games in my opinion is a concept, that INTERNATIONAL NATIONS OF THE WORLD can compete together as AMATEUR ATHLETES instead of WAR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been interested in the Olympics. LOL
    I appreciate your grammatical expertise.
    My newest slogan peeve is the "fake it until you make it!" NO. I won't FAKE anything.
    When I hate something about a given situation I fight to change it to my advantage rather than "suck it up" and accept the unpleasant reality. Eventually I get my way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting. I know it's a logical fallacy but behoove always makes me think of zebras.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard a word used the other day like "importantly" and I knew it wasn't correct. I don't know why people want to add the "ly" and make it an adverb. Noah Webster's dictionary has come a long way. Some words have changed meaning, too, from the 1828 version.

    I know people don't like their speech corrected. I knew a gal who took German and I think she majored in it. When she went to Germany, they had a hard time understanding her because she spoke German so perfectly. They told her she needed to slur her words more. Ha!

    It is like Americans thinking they can travel to England because the language is the same. Right? Wrong! Also like the Chinese. They speak Cantonese and Mandarin, with variations depending on where they live. Yet, they have the same written language.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you had a relaxing, fun weekend, and that some of the stress has eased up.

    I'm one of those who really enjoy watching the Olympics, especially the skating events. I'm a bit of an oddball, though, as I find myself rooting for whoever happens to be performing, regardless of their country affiliations. They all train so hard, for so long, I always hope that each one does their absolute best and then let the score fall where it may.

    Here's to some good days ahead of you.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly -- I don't like that "fake it" expression either. And I detest it when people say to "suck it up." Screw that!

    Potomacker -- zebras? Can't quite envision that connection! I never use the word anyway; it sounds a bit pompous to me.

    Bobbie Jo -- some people do want to be told if they're saying something incorrect. But one has to be tactful and discreet about it. :-)

    Pam -- same to you! I get drawn into the Olympics somewhat, if they're on at John's. But I never watch them on my own. I do like the skating, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jay is leaving? He was never really funny, he just had money.
    The Olympics are as entertaining as watching paint dry.
    I did enjoy your random thoughts as I usually enjoy all of your post.
    Just an old lucker, spouting off.
    SirMike

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog.
    I wish I could have you on speed dial when grammar questions arise.
    I'm not into the Olympics that much either. They just don't seem very interesting to me this time around. Though, I admire all the athletes for their hard work.
    bethany

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mike -- I loved Jay. I will miss him a lot.

    Bethany -- thanks! I admire their dedication too, and all the hours they put into what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done my beautiful lady.....love these. Did you see the Beatles special last night. I was a tad disappointed.
    Always
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ron -- I did not. I chose not to watch it -- I'd rather remember the Beatles as they were. And I don't like it when other people sing their songs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just thought I'd respond to a couple of your Potpourri thoughts, as you've numbered them:

    2. It's not Kardashian. It's Kartrashian.

    5. We don't have oriole or ruby-throated hummingbird rules because Cardinal Rule originates from the Catholic church. So, tell John there is a God...lol.

    8. Since the Olympics are on, and since you don't watch them, I won't be there tomorrow because you don't have them on at your place. I was planning on having them while I spank you. So, see you when the Olympics are over...lol.

    10. I'm nauseous that you don't watch the Olympics!

    11. When you are a 100 year-old proof reader, I'll still be spanking your bottom.

    12. I'll try harder to pummel your bottom so it leaves marks.

    14. I'll factor the number 13 into your spanks.

    See you after the Olympics my dear Bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steve -- yeah, right. You skip tomorrow and stay home and watch the Olympics. We'll see how long you hold out. ;-)

    Kartrashian. That's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. On proofreading/editing, the one that kills me is 'pleaded' instead of plead. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous -- unfortunately, both "pleaded" and "pled" are considered acceptable these days. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Erica--The Winter Olympics are not on my viewing list, either. It's a lot of people I don't know participating in a lot of events or so-called "sports" I don't care about. Why would I spend my time watching that? I'll stick to the television shows that I do like.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dr. Ken -- I have now been watching a little of it, at John's, and a little goes a very long way. The skiing bores the life out of me.

    ReplyDelete